The international Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 that powered by Qualcomm chipset can be rooted. You not just root Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 but can also install latest variant of ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) v126.96.36.199 on it easily.
If you recently bought Quad-core variant of Galaxy Note 3, model number SM-N9005 then the next thing you like to do is root it. Root not only important to install apps that ask root access which ultimately make your smartphone more powerful but also required to bypass infamous region lock that comes in Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005.
The root file is shared by famous developer Chainfire, who is also our Galaxy device rooting hero. CF-Auto-Root method always easy to perform. In this tutorial we also show you how to flash CWM recovery v188.8.131.52 on Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 which is similarly easy.
Though performing rooting is not harmful for your Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 but it’s always good idea to backup your data when possible. Please note, rooting void your manufacturer warranty. You can always regain it by following proper method (remove all root only app, install triangle away and then flash official firmware).
Warning: This tutorial is educational purpose only, we are not liable if you brick your device after following this tutorial.
Backup your data first using below mentioned instructions, so that if you lost any data you can recover it easily.
SMS & Call Log – Use SMS, MMS & Call Log Entries Backup & Restore App
Contacts & Settings – Use Android default backup options.
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to Internal/External SD card.
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
WhatsApp Messenger – Manually Backup WhatsApp Messenger Data.
- Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power, otherwise your device may see a hard brick if device turn off during installation. [How to Check Battery Percentage in Android Device]
- You already have USB Driver Installed for Galaxy Note 3 in your PC. [Download USB Drivers]
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and mobile. [Guide]
- This installation guide use ODIN utility which work only in Windows OS. If you use Linux OS (such as Ubuntu) or Mac OS then use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN in your OS.
Hope you back up all your data and settings as mention above and now you need to download required file (available below) and follow the step by step guide to root Galaxy Note 3 N9005 running on stock firmware.
1. Extract the CF-Auto-Root zip files only once and not twice..
2. This root process may increase binary flash counter.
Now you all set to root Galaxy Note 3 N9005. Download file and go through the tutorial below:
File Required(Download by clicking on it)
How to Root Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005
- Extract CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.zip file. You will receive a .tar.md5 file along with few other files.
- Extract Odin zip file and you will get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
- Power off your phone. Wait 5-6 seconds for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Now, put the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Down and Home buttons while pressing the Power button. A Warning! screen will come up; press Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
- Now run Odin3 v3.07.exe (see Step 2) as an Administrator because Admin privileges is required to complete the process smoothly.
- Now connect your Galaxy Note 3 N9005 with your PC using USB cable. A message will arrive under Odin’s message box in the bottom left saying “Added!!”. If you don’t get the same then you should try another USB port (try USB port located in back in your desktop PC). If that too don’t work then you should reinstall the driver. If you successfully see the “Added!!” message in Odin then you are ready to go in next step. You should also see COM port with a number in Yellow if you successfully added your device.
- Select these files in Odin at respective buttons:
- Click the PDA Button, and select CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar.md5
- In Odin window, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected.
- Double check everything that we mentioned. Now, once satisfied hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
- Once flashing completed, the phone will reboot and soon you will see a PASS message with green background in the left-most box at the very top of the Odin. You can now unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
So, you have done rooting Galaxy Note 3 N9005 running on stock firmware. Your device should now have root permission and you can now install apps that ask root access. Confirm whether your device is rooted or not from here: How To Verify Android Device is Rooted or Not.
Now, once you rooted your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005, the next thing you like to do, flash CWM recovery 184.108.40.206. The latest version comes with exFAT file system external card support. Installing this is very easy. Follow the above tutorial but on step 7.1 flash n9005-cwm-recovery-220.127.116.11(0929).tar. Download n9005-cwm-recovery-18.104.22.168(0929).tar. Once done you can boot into recovery by by pressing and holding down the Volume Up and Home buttons while pressing the Power button.