A new kernel called the Axiom kernel is now available for the Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 smartphone. You can now enjoy the phone at its max. since this kernel can let you overclock its CPU to 1.2 GHz. The Axiom Kernel has been developed by XDA member Anirudh Chandratre with BFQ and ZEN I/O schedulers. It is based on the Samsung Open Source update 3. Remember, overclocking may damage your hardware permanently, only proceed if you understand the risk.
Here is list of features available in the Axiom kernel.
- Overclock support to 1.2Ghz
- ext2 support – untested
- ext3 support – untested
- ext4 support
- swapon support
- zram support
- cifs support
- vvpn support
- firewall/Netfilter support
- Frequencies – 104 MHz, 156 MHz, 312 MHz, 468 MHz, 624 MHz, 832 MHz, 936 MHz, 1248 MHz
- Governers – Hotplug, Wheatley, Smoothass, Smartass V2, Smartass, scary, savagedzen… and many more.
- I/O schedulers – bfq, noop, deadline, cfq, vr, sio, zen
This tutorial is only for Galaxy Y, model number S5360. Don’t try this guide in any other Android device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. Although, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
Backup Galaxy Y S5360 Data & Settings:
Although installing official firmware automatically restore your previous phone data if your device in running on official firmware prior to flashing this firmware, however accident may happen. That’s why We always recommend you to backup your phone data and setting before following manual firmware installation guide, so that if you lost any data you can recover it easily.
SMS & Call Log – Use SMS, MMS & Call Log Entries Backup & Restore App
Contacts & Settings – Use Android default backup options.
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to Internal/External SD card.
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
WhatsApp Messenger – Manually Backup WhatsApp Messenger Data.
Note: You can always backup your device data using Kies but we recommend you to backup data manually, so that if situation demand then you can easily transfer your data to any other manufacturer Android powered device such as HTC One or Xperia Z. If you have custom recovery installed such as TWRP Recovery or CWM Recovery then use its backup feature which is better than any other backup we mentioned already as this backup create an image of whole system.
Download Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 USB Drivers
You need to connect your Galaxy Y S5360 to computer so that Odin can access it. However, it won’t be possible until you have proper driver installed. Technically, after you connect your device to Windows PC for first time, it will download and install the required driver but if it don’t then download it from below link.
Few More Important Tips!
- Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power, otherwise your device may see a hard brick if device turn off during installation. [How to Check Battery Percentage in Android Device]
- Backup your EFS Folder to save IMEI number and other important data. [Guide]
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and mobile. [Guide]
- You should already have Clockwork Mod recovery installed on it.
If you have done everything that we mentioned above then you are ready to move the next part of this guide where we compile an easy to follow step-by-step guide on how to flash Axiom Kernel for Galaxy Y.
File Required (Download by clicking on it)
1. Axiom Kernel for Samsung Galaxy Y. [Filename: axiom1-0_signed.zip]
How to install the Overclocked Axiom Kernel on your Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360
- Connect your Galaxy Y smartphone to PC using USB cable.
- Copy downloaded zip file to the SD card of your smartphone. Important: Don’t extract the file.
- Disconnect USB and then turn off your smartphone.
- Boot into recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together till the screen turns up and you see Samsung logo blink for 2 times. Now release the Power key but keep Volume and Home buttons pressed you see a screen with blue text menu with ClockworkMod Recovery written on the top.
- Then perform data wiping task. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait few minutes till the data wipe is complete. After that, from the main CWM recovery screen, select Advanced and then Wipe Dalvik Cache. Select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Again, wait few minutes till the data wipe process is completed.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the axiom1-0_signed.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by pressing Power button (tap on it if using touch version). Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
- When installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into customized Kernel. The first boot will take time, so be patient!.
Congrats! Your Galaxy Y S5360 smartphone is now powered by Axiom kernel and you can now overclock it. Don’t forget to visit official development page to obtain latest Kernel build and ask support. Share your Axiom custom Kernel experience with us in comments.