Google slowly rolling out official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update for Samsung Nexus S. People at Pakistan already experience the official OTA. Now, if you don’t want to stay behind and want to try out Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update then try Brainmaster’s Stock JB 4.1.1 for Nexus S i9020T,i9020A and i9023 variant.
The ROM not only come with Jelly Bean standard feature like butter smooth performance, enhanced security but also deodexed and rooted. Hence very much first and don’t require rooting firmware again after installation.
Quick feature list of Brainmaster’s Stock JB 4.1.1:
- Busybox Run-Parts (support for scripts in the init.d)
- Circle Battery
- Unsecured Boot.img
- ADB Enabled
- EXT4 and TCP Tweaks
- Dalvik moved to the /cache partition
- Advanced automated Zipaligning of system/app and /data/app
- ADFree Hosts file
- Sticky Recovery (Custom recovery doesn’t get overwritten after flashing the ROM)
- Unicode support for SMS/MMS
- 360° Rotation
- Symlinked SDCard to /storage/sdcard0
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Nexus S, model number i9020T,i9020A and i9023. It’s not compatible with other Nexus S variants or with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
Root Information: A rooted device actually void the manufacturer warranty that the device comes with. However, you can always reclaim the warranty by applying official firmware update or by unroot. To check if your device is rooted or not, download and install Root Checker app from Google Play store for free.
We should not be held liable for any damage caused in the process of installing this pre-rooted stock firmware on Nexus S. Although, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
Backup your data first using the following instructions, so that if you lost any data you can recover it easily.
SMS & Call Log – Use SMS, MMS & Call Log Entries Backup & Restore App
Contacts & Settings – Use Android default backup options.
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to Internal/External SD card.
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
File Required (Download by clicking on it)
- Brainmaster’s Stock JB 4.1.1 [Filename: Brainmasters.JB.4.1.1.JRO03E.Nexus.S.zip]
- Make sure your device have at least 80% battery power. [How to Check Battery Percentage in Android Device]
- You already have USB Driver Installed for Nexus S. If not then you should download and install Kies.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled. [Guide]
- Make sure the bootloader on your Nexus S is unlocked and you have ClockworkMod recovery installed. [Try this tool]
If you done everything that we mentioned above then you are ready to move the next stage of this guide where you will learn how to flash Brainmaster’s Stock JB 4.1.1 ROM for Nexus S.
Guide to Install Pre-Rooted Stock Jelly Bean ROM For Nexus S
- Copy the download zip file [Brainmasters.JB.4.1.1.JRO03E.Nexus.S.zip] to the SD card. Important: Do not extract the zip file.
- Turn off your Nexus S smartphone.
- Now boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together to boot into fastboot mode. Then navigate RECOVERY option using Volume button and then select the same using Power button. Your phone will be booted in to recovery mode where you can use Volume Up and Down key to navigate and Power button to select an option.
- Now, before doing anything else, perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM that you can restore later if this new ROM not work or you want to go back. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Perform data wiping task then. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait few minutes till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the ROM zip [Brainmasters.JB.4.1.1.JRO03E.Nexus.S.zip] file that you copied earlier in Step 1 and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The installation process of pre-rooted stock 4.1.1 Jelly Bean will start then.
- Once the installation is completed, go back to the main menu and select reboot system now to reboot the Nexus S and boot up into Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean stock firmware. The first boot will take sometime, so be patient.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Install SuperUser from Google Play store to allow root access to apps that required root. SuperUser available for free on Google Play store.
Pre-rooted Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Nexus S. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Let us know, your experience with this ROM in comment.