Unlocking bootloader is now possible in LG Optimus G. We may now see some custom ROM for this flagship device LG Optimus G. Here, you should note unlocking bootloader will void your device manufacturer warranty but relocking it will give back warranty. However, the unlock method we are talking about yet to come with any relocking process but it’s on the way. So, if you care too much about warranty then avoid this process.
- This Unlock method presently support AT&T and Sprint variants of LG Optimus G.
- This unlock method install ClockworkMod Recovery in your device.
- You shouldn’t update your device to new firmware as this will lock bootloader again and this unlocking procedure may not work with that. Check out the source to know the new firmware is compatible or not.
This tutorial is only for LG Optimus G. Don’t try this guide in any other Android device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. Although, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
- Make sure your device have at least 50% battery power. [How to Check Battery Percentage in Android Device]
- You already have USB Driver Installed for LG Optimus G in your PC. [Download Driver]
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled. [Guide]
- Your device is rooted. [Guide]
- Make sure ADB is installed. [Guide]
If you followed all pre-requisites then you are ready to move on the very next stage of this tutorial which is how to root LG Optimus G.
File Required(Download by clicking on it)
- LG Optimus G FreeGee Bootloader Unlocking Tool [Filename: FreeGee-0.4_ATT.zip]
How to Unlock LG Optimus G
- Extract downloaded archive file (FreeGee-0.4_ATT.zip) in your PC.
- Now, ensure your smartphone’s screen is on and unlocked
- Now, connect your LG Optimus G to the computer using USB cable. DO NOT MOUNT SD CARD.
- Then run the freegee.batfile (Do not run this as administrator, else it will fail) which is present within extracted folder (see Step 1) by double-clicking on it.
- A new application windows will appear, you now required to follow onscreen instruction.
- Once the unlock is complete, check to make sure you have a “backups” folder now in the folder where you put FreeGee. If not, DO NOT REBOOT your phone.
Congrats! Your LG Optimus G is now unlocked and have ClockworkMod Recovery installed. You can now flash custom ROMs, MODs and other hacks.
How To Navigate in Bootloader Mode
The current bootloader mode that comes with LG Optimus G, don’t have any visual menu. You have to guess the appearance of the menu and select it accordingly. To enter bootloader menu, first turn off your device and then press and hold Volume Up and Power button together. You will see a blank screen soon that actually represent Bootloader Mode. To bootloader mode use the volume keys to change selection, and the power key to select.
Now here is a list of options that you will get if you press Volume Down:
- Start – boot the phone normally [by default selected]
- Restart Bootloader – reboot into the bootloader
- Recovery Mode – enter recovery (CWM)
- Power Off – powers the phone off
So, That’s it! Following above procedure will successfully unlock your AT&T Optimus G as well as Sprint Optimus G.